Monday, December 5, 2011

Felted Dryer Balls




I love, love, love, these!!! They really are the perfect companion to the home made laundry soap. The clothes were already coming out of the dryer softer and now with the dryer balls there are almost no wrinkles, even cotton dress shirts. Again, huge bonus, because I hate wrinkled clothes and do not have enough time to ever catch up on my ironing. Supposedly they cut down the drying time as well, but I can't say that I've noticed a difference in that respect.


Very easy to make. You need 100% wool yarn. I had some Patons 100% wool yarn left over from a couple projects, but that did not go very far, so I bought a skein of Lion brand Fisherman yarn. It has to be 100% wool and not superwash, because you want it to felt up into tight balls.


I just wound the yarn into old fashioned balls, about the size of a softball. Then I cut off the leg of some old tights and stuffed the ball into the leg, tied it off (with acrylic yarn), stuffed in another, tied it off, etc, etc. I felted 4 at a time. It should look like a string of sausage when it is ready to go in the washing machine.


To felt them, I washed the tied up balls with my towels, one cycle with the temperature on hot wash/cold rinse, then threw them in the dryer. End product, nicely felted dryer balls!


I made 10 and put them in every load I dry. Winner!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment